Sunday, December 12, 2010

Seen in 1983, bought 26 years later - Seiko's 7A28

SOLD!
In April 2013 I received an offer from a gentleman in England, who was looking for a nice 7A28-7039 as a wedding present for himself.
 
 
The image in the background of the above photograph comes from a 1983 edition of National Geographic, a magazine to which I subscribed for several years in the late 1970s and through to the mid 1980s.
When I saw that Seiko chronograph I fell for it hook, line and sinker but to buy one back then would have been an extravagance, what with a three-year old daughter, a brand-new baby son, a single income and a mortgage on our new home.

The years passed and life's events changed until one day last year, whilst culling some old magazines, I happened upon that issue of National Geographic and as soon as I saw the advertisement I determined to track down a nice copy of the featured watch.
And I did, and that is it, sitting on the back cover of the magazine and posing for the photo above.

The watch is Seiko's 7A28-7039 and my example comes from March 1983, completely original right down to the bracelet which, after 27 years, is showing some minor signs of wear in those areas which are recessed and filled in black.

Other than that it is in excellent condition.
The dial is unblemished, the three main hands (hour, minute and sweep stop-watch) all without blemish, although the lume on the hour & minute hands, and on the hour indices, will only glow for about 15 seconds after being held under a light.

The 7A28 runs perfectly, keeping accurate time. I have never adjusted it since it was received in August 2009.

It wasn't a cheap purchase, coming as it did from a collector in Japan via an intermediary here in Australia, but I got exactly what I wanted, and that's the main thing.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Bruce,

    I came upon your site while looking around for a Seiko's 7A28 (great site you have). I like this watch (a lot). I was after this model but with the yellow dial!. I have a few Seiko 6139s (with the red/blue outer bezel) two of them have the yellow/gold dial, one is in very good condition, the other is in brand new condition, not one mark on it, NO wear, it has been kept in the dark since it was made and the dial has not gone to a deeper yellow/gold that sunlight does to them, there can`t be many around like that. The rest of my 6139s are the black dial models (with the red/blue outer bezel), and all in very good condition. They all need a good service though as only one of the black dial 6139s keeps good time!. Like you I saw the 6139s (yellow/gold dial) back in the mid 1970s and could not afford the £69.00 price tag for the same reasons as you, just married and children to look after. It would be nice if Seiko were to make a few more, I think they would be a good seller. My wife keeps telling me to sell them, I will not part with them, not that I wear them much. I make do with a CMI chronograph, which is a very good watch.

    All the best,
    George.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang onto that NOS 6139, George. If it is completely original then you will have something that is hard to find with these watches - there are so many "rebirths" out there that originals are rare.

    Thanks for your comments, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Bruce, I will e-mail you a picture of my NOS Seiko. A man I was talking to on the web who lives in Japan, told me he often goes down to the Seiko HQ in his lunch break (with his sandwiches), they have big glass display cabinets of every model they have ever made!!!. He told me that my watch is in one of the display cabinets, its one of his favourites. Yes, it is the real McCoy, not a rebirth.

    All the best,
    George.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi guys! I've been looking for one for ages. Do you have any idea where I could find one?

    Tanks for your help!! It's very much appreciated!!

    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  5. Birgit,
    Two places come to mind.
    Firstly, Ebay.
    Secondly, there is a forum dedicated to Seiko and Citizen watches and you may either find one for sale or could place a request there.
    The site is http://www.thewatchsite.com/

    ReplyDelete

Feedback and comments are most welcome.